Sunday, November 1, 2009

"Is this Heaven?" "No, it's Iowa"

Wow, where to start...I've been out of commissioin again due to a broken computer. Thanks to Best Buy's warranty and lemon rule, I will have a new one soon.

But that means I've missed quite a bit of material to blog about. The past two weeks have seen some crazy games with some crazy finishes.



  • The Michigan State game blew my mind. With under 2 minutes left, Stanzi drove down the field and threw the winning touchdown to Marvin Mcnutt. Check out the video.

  • Unfortunately, the win was costly in terms of manpower. Iowa's starting RB, Adam Robinson, and starting guard, Dace Richardson, both sustained major injuries that could keep them out the rest of the season. Starters Brent Greenwood and Collin Sandeman got knocked around as well and are still not 100%.

  • So Iowa comes into a classic trap game - right off a huge win and against a team that their "supposed" to beat with ease. It looked like the run was over. I could not believe the way the Hawks were playing for 3 quarters. Stanzi may have had more completions to Hoosiers than Hawkeyes. It felt like the end to me. I was already thinking about how to blog about the loss and how much blame should go to the windy conditions.

  • However, down by 10 going into the 4th quarter, Stanzi and the offense exploded (once they were going with the wind). TD throw to Mcnutt, TD throw to DJK, rushing TD by Wegher, and finally, while Iowa was trying to run the clock down, Wegher scores another TD.

  • Stanzi deserves a lot of respect in my mind. Despite 5 interceptions on the day, he stayed focused and won the game. Some QBs would be crying in a corner of the locker room by the time the 4th quarter started. Stanzi's mental toughness has been his strongest attribute so far this year.

All these come-from-behind victories this year are gonna give me an ulcer. Another thing that's gonna give me an ulcer is all the hate for the Big Ten spewing out of the national sports media.

Before I followed Iowa, I had moderate respect for the Big Ten. I never realized the unholy jihad that some people delcare against it. And this year a lot of the scorn is directed at Iowa. Is the Big Ten the best conference in football right now? No! That belongs to the SEC.

But, there is really not that much separating the Pac 10, Big East, Big Ten and Big 12. And guess who is on top of the Big Ten? The Iowa Hawkeyes, regardless of anybody's opinion. I'm getting spoiled this year. But you know what, I'm still enjoying every minute of this run.

1 comment:

  1. Man, I hope you use the store credit to get a Mac! Nice post.

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete