Sunday, November 22, 2009

Iowa over Minnesohtah, 12-0

This game was my first college football game in a long time. The last college football game I went to was Syracuse vs Boston College, all the way back on Nov 24, 2001. Back then Syracuse had a team worth watching which included current NFL veteran Dwight Freeney. Needless to say, it felt good to get in a college stadium again.

There were differences between the atmosphere in Kinnick and the Carrier Dome, but there were many similarities as well. I'll start with those.

Similarities:
  • Home Field Advantage - There's nothing worse than watching a game with people who could care less about the outcome. When you're in the stands surrounding by thousands of people mostly pulling for the home team, it makes it more enjoyable.

  • Marching band - The same type of people are found in marching bands in every college out there - nerds. But it was fun to watch them have a good time and they add excitement tp the whole scene. The crowd seemed to especially like the "Thriller" tribute at halftime.

  • Stadium food - Why did I pay 4.50 for a few nachos with cheese? I don't know, but it sure tasted better than regular nachos and cheese.

Differences

  • Outdoor stadium - The weather was pleasant for late November. However, there is a different feel to the game outside. More variables (wind, sun in the eyes, cold hands) mean more possible fumbles and interceptions.

  • Rowdiness - Maybe my memory is off, but the Hawkeye fans were much more rowdy than any Syracuse crowd I remember. And I was in the corner where most people just sat for the whole game! My daughter will probably not be ready for a game until Daddy can explain away "bad words."

  • Halftime - At Syracuse everyone gets up and gets something to eat or uses the restroom at halftime. Nobody watches the "halftime show". At Kinnick though, it seemed like most people stayed in their seat and was into the marching bands act - especially the fat guy behind me who loudly commented"you make a better door than a window". Dude, it's halftime! I'm stretching my legs. Are you really that into it?

  • Hi-fiving random strangers - I'm from the Northeast, not the midwest. People are a little more reserved and well, sometimes grumpy, so I thought this was cool. Random people all over just slapping hands with whoever had a Hawkeye shirt on and yelling "Go Hawks!"

  • Overalls - I saw more overalls than on an episode of Heehaw. I think it's suppose to be kinda farmer/chique to wear these things. Probably one step I'm not quite willing to take yet.

The actual game was so-so. The hawks won on 2 field goals and a TD with a missed extra point. 3rd down conversions were virtually non-existant in the second half and once Robinson left the game, the running game really suffered. But Iowa's D held firm til the end.

When you think about, that about sums up the whole season. Just enough offense to get the job done and more defense than most teams can handle. Next post, I'll have some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment