In my 7 years of living in Iowa, I've found 3 things that makes an Iowan's eyes light up like a Christmas Tree...1) any celeb with ties to Iowa (i.e. Ashton Kutcher or Shawn Johnson), 2) the State Fair, and most relevant to this blog 3) the Iowa vs Iowa State football game.
In truth, this game feels like a bit like a state holiday most places. Employees take 2 or 3 days off to start tailgaiting early. Office trash talk gets taken up a notch. You see Iowa or Iowa state memorabilia everywhere. Butchers finally break into the black from all the burgers and brats they sell. It's a great time of year.
No one cares about this outside of Iowa's borders. In fact, if you asked someone from back home in NY to name off the top 20 college football rivalries, I'm not sure this one would ever come up. But that's ok, it's an Iowan thing and it should be that way. These two programs have a storied rivalry and some great tradition.
For my next post, I plan on taking a look at ISU's team and trying to make a prediction on the game. Until then, I'll leave you with an ISU joke.
What do you call a convoy of John Deere tractors going down the road? The Iowa State homecoming parade.
What's that? You want another one?
What's the difference between a porcupine and Jack Trice Stadium? A porcupine has 40,000 pricks on the OUTSIDE.
Huh, one more?
Where was O.J. headed in the white Bronco? Ames, Iowa. . . The police would never look there for a Heisman Trophy winner!
All in good fun, nobody get offended now...ok one more.
What's the hardest thing about being a IA State Cyclone fan? Telling your parents that you're gay.
Feel free to share your own!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm a Minnesota gal....pretty close to Iowa! :) I liked the one about O.J. :)
ReplyDelete