Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Iowa vs Michigan, 1985

I apologize to all my readers for the lack of posts recently. I plan on making several posts in the next few days to make up for it, so please keep reading, and that goes for both of you. The reason for the hiatus was my power cord broke and it took some time for the replacement to come in the mail.

Today I want to crack open the history book and take a look back at a classic Iowa game from the past. In 1985, the Iowa Hawkeyes were ranked #1 in the nation and they just happen to meet up with the #2 team in the nation, the Michigan Wolverines, in the regular season. It was a tight game right down to the end. Watch the clip to see how it turned out.



This was pre-BCS days, so this was as close to a national championship that the Hawkeyes could get. Unfortunately they ended up losing to Ohio State during the regular season. They did make it to the Rose Bowl that year, but lost to UCLA. The Michigan win that year may just be the pinnacle of Hawkeye football to date.

A couple thoughts went through my mind while watching this clip.

1st - Hayden Fry made me laugh. Good to know the godfather of modern Iowa Football is a God-fearing man!

2nd - Do you think that Rob Houghtlin ended up like Uncle Rico from Napolean Dynamite? Like never getting past his football days? Well I found this link, so I guess not.

Stay tuned for more tomorrow. You'll get to see what it means to get "Schlabached."

No comments:

Post a Comment